Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Shapeshifter's Secret by Heather Ostler

The Shapeshifter's Secret

Author: Heather Ostler

Publisher: Sweetwater Books

Published: June 2012

ISBN13: 9781462110339

Hardcover: 328 pages

FTC FYI: Received a PDF copy from the author, then purchased my own copy.

Book Jacket Summary

Sixteen year old Julia is used to dealing with problems.  And like any teenager, she's got lots of them.  But Julia had everything under control until Caleb came along.

As her world starts unraveling around her, Julia's reactions become oddly vicious and angry.  This isn't just a case of teenage rage--something is really wrong.  And that's when Julia finally discovers the truth.

This fast-paced action-adventure story is packed with humor, romance, and enough twists and turns to keep you guessing to the very last page.  Get lost in a world of hidden royalty, shifting alliances, and dangerous vendettas.  But don't forget, nothing is what it seems.

My Review

Isn't this cover awesome?  I've seen this book around for awhile, and I have always admired it.  I recently met Heather at Authorpalooza and told her I've always wanted to read her book.  One thing lead to another and here is my review.  I am also in the process of reading book 2 in this series, The Siren's Secret, which comes out in June of this year.  I will get that review up as soon as I can. :)

After some rough days at school, and almost shifting in class, Julia finds out she is a werecat.  And royalty too.  All her life, it has just been her and her father.  Julia has always wanted to know about her mother, but could never bring up the subject with Lancer.  Once Julia knows the truth, she is taken away to her home country of Ossai.  Ossai can only be reached by water portals (cool, huh?).  Even getting to Ossai is dangerous.  Julia is taken to Ossai rather quickly by Caleb, the mysterious new guy in school, who has ties to her royal life.

I really liked this book.  I think Julia is a great character and I liked her father Lancer, too.  I wanted more of Caleb, and I have my doubts about Terrance.  (You will find out who is he later.)  At times, I wanted a little more going on then just her schooling, but important seeds were planted for the plot of the story.  There is a surprise at the end that I was not excepting and I thought it added a lot of mystery to the story.

4 out of 5 stars.

Author Links

Goodreads / Blog / Facebook / Twitter

Purchase Links

Amazon / Barnes and Noble


1 comment: