Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Selection & The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Selection

Author: Kiera Cass

Publisher: Harper Teen

Published: April 2012

ISBN13: 978006059932

Hardcover: 327 pages

FTC FYI: Bought a kindle copy.

Goodreads Summary

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

My Review

 4 1/2 stars.  I've had my eye on this book for awhile and finally stole some time to read it.  I am so glad I did.  I loved it.  I thought it was very well written, and the characters were very likable.  I loved America.  I loved Maxon.   I didn't think I would like him, actually.  Is Marlee too good to be true?  Is Celeste really that awful?   The plot is fabulous, and I also liked the mystery of rebel attacks.  I loved the world that the author created.  

Everyone lives under a caste system, and being a five, America didn't think she will stand a chance to catch Prince Maxon's eye.  When they first meet, America yells at him (which I loved), and then they strike up a deal.  They will be friends, and America will give Maxon advice throughout the selection.  What America doesn't expect is her feelings for Maxon, and does she have the strength to make it through herself?  I was glad The Elite was waiting for me when I finished...


The Elite

Author: Kiera Cass

Publisher: Harper Teen

Published: April 23, 2013

ISBN13: 9780062059936

Hardcover: 323 pages

FTC FYI: Received a copy from the library

Goodreads Summary

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


My Review

I really liked this sequel.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  America is now faced with her ex-boyfriend Aspen being a guard at the castle.  Her feelings for Maxon get mixed up when something happens to one of the girls (sorry you will have to find out yourself :).  The rebels are still attacking and America's stay at the castle is getting more confusing, and dangerous.

In the past few days, I've really enjoyed reading these books.  Now I feel the agony of waiting for The One (Book 3) until next year.  Lots of surprises throughout, along with a great ending.  

4 out of 5 stars.  There was a bit of indecision from America, which is to be expected.  I can't say what, but something huge happens and I won't tell who it was with, but it was a surprise and well done.  

Author Links

Website / Goodreads / Twitter

Purchase Links

Amazon / Barnes and Noble







1 comment:

  1. I personally can't stand the illogicality of the rebel attacks. The palace should be the most tightly guarded facility in the entire country. What the heck are the guards doing? Playing Ping-Pong while rebels lurk around and kill people? Where are the weapons? Why can't the guards fend off these attacks? Why aren't there more guards? There are plenty of Sevens who would give anything to be a guard at the palace. I loved (LOVED) the first book. The second book was a bit of a letdown for me. I am totally Team Maxon, and if Book 3 ends up with a "You should be with _______ because she deserves you more and would be a better queen than I ever would," I will be flipping furious.

    ReplyDelete